The online hacker group “Anonymous” has declared Friday Aug 18 2017 to be “Denouncement Day,” where they will attempt to remove all the Confederate statues and monuments they can find.
In a video posted online they announced they plan to gather in several places at 6 PM Eastern time. The locations identified are:
- The statue of Rear Adm. Raphael Semmes in Mobile, Ala.
- The Confederate Soldiers Monument in Little Rock
- The Jackson Guards Memorial in Jacksonport, Ark.
- The Searcy Confederate Memorial in Searcy, Ark.
- The Our Confederate Dead monument in Munn Park in Lakeland, Fla.
- The Confederate Monument in Piedmont Park in Atlanta (which was defaced with spray paint this week)
- The Corinth Confederate Monument in Corinth, Miss.
- The Confederate Soldiers Monument at the Bryan County Courthouse in Durant, Okla.
- The Confederate Monument in Lynchburg, Va.
- The Mecklenburg Confederate Soldier in Boydton, Va.
- The Robert E. Lee sculpture in Charlottesville, Va.
The video has been viewed almost 80,000 times.
In the video, they claim
We are angry — angry because there is an administration in the White House that has sold its moral and ethical obligation to represent the citizens of the United States in exchange for individuals who believe they are simply better than those who do not look like them or follow their sadistic ideologies,” the video states.
…Anonymous has made clear that it will not stand by as this bigotry continues to perpetuate. We are taking a stand against an intolerant evil that must be crushed. That is why we chose to engage Operation Domestic Terrorism, where we continue to take down both white supremacist websites and of those who share the ideology.