OUT and about today? Don’t tech any chances.
A report out today reveals the average family owns devices worth a combined £3,600.
But one in four of us doesn’t have insurance that covers gadgets outside the home.
Ninety per cent of us carry devices such as smartphones and tablets away from home. But just 16 per cent have checked the devices are covered by their home insurance policy.
Damaging a gadget or having it lost or stolen can leave you thousands of pounds out of pocket.
Nationwide says claims for lost, stolen or damaged mobile phones account for 37 per cent of all tech claims.
And Nationwide’s head of insurance Rob Angus says: “Often, people underestimate the cost of technology items they own.
“For example, someone buys a new smartphone as part of a contract deal, getting the handset at a vastly discounted price.
“But they either forget to insure it or fail to take into account the actual value of replacing it within their home insurance policy.
“With the cost of mobile phones regularly topping £500, some could be left significantly short-changed if they need to claim.”
Here are Nationwide’s top eight tips to protect your tech.
- Don’t under-insure. Make sure you insure devices for their actual value in case of damage, loss or theft. This ensures you can replace ‘like for like’ should the worst happen.
- Be secure. Use PIN codes, thumbprints and other security measures to keep gadgets locked.
- Report losses fast. Tell your mobile provider as soon as possible to block or de-activate your phone.
- Switch on location software. These programmes let you track and disable your device if it happens to get lost.
- Make a note of your phone’s IMEI number. This unique reference code will help to fast-track claims. This can usually be found on the phone’s original packing. Or you can get hold of it by typing *#06# on your call screen.
- Invest in security. SmartWater is a traceable liquid you can use to invisibly mark your device. Likewise, micro-engraving can help identify devices if they are recovered.
- Keep tech out of sight. If you are away from home, don’t leave laptops and tablets in plain view of doors and windows.
- Check your policy. Does it cover the loss of digital data such as music, films, games and programmes? These can be expensive to buy back.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club, which launched this week, will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Simply collect 28 codes and we’ll give you £5 for FREE
In fact, it is completely up to you how much you save.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.
All we’ll ask of you is your name, your date of birth and an email address to get you on the way to your first crisp fiver.
You can choose to save or cash out straight to your bank account or instantly with Paypal.
Don’t delay — join Sun Savers now!
Plus, keep an eye out for extra benefits – such as exclusive first access to our much-loved Holidays From £9.50.
We bust the myths about Sun Savers
- It’s not real cash. It will just be vouchers or points. WRONG – it IS real cash.
- You have to enter the codes on consecutive days. WRONG – each code is valid for FIVE weeks, enter them whenever you want.
- It’s a one-off promotion. WRONG – Sun Savers is for ever.
- It’s just a joining offer. WRONG – you’ll get a fiver for EVERY 28 codes you enter.
- It’s not for me as I only buy the paper a couple of times a week. WRONG – it doesn’t matter how long it takes you to get 28 codes, you’ll still get the fiver.
- There will be lots of hoops to jump through, lots of catches. WRONG – register with just your name, email and DOB, start entering your codes and you’re good to go.
- It will take ages to receive the fiver. WRONG – just link your bank account and the money will be in your account within three to five working days. Or do it via PayPal and get it instantly.
A French boost in the boudoir
SAVE BIG: Ooh la la! This Antoinette French Bedside Table was £275, now £84 at soakandsleep.com.
SAVE SMALL: Save on pricey coffee stops with this Thermocafe Desk Mug in Purple (0.45L) at sainsburys.co.uk. Was £8, now just £5.33 until October 11. Hurry!
- Buying the kids new bikes for Xmas? Until October 16, Halfords is offering ten per cent off any new bike when customers donate their old one in-store. See halfords.com.
- Switching energy suppliers? Compare costs and customer service ratings with a free tool from Citizens Advice.
Head over to energycompare.citizensadvice.org.uk.
PRICES correct at time of press. Deals and offers subject to availability.
ONE lucky reader will win an incredible £100,000 CASH with Sun Savers.
Pay off the mortgage or go on a spending spree – it’s up to you.
Download the Sun Savers app or register at sunsavers.co.uk.
Already a member? Update your app in the app store and scan TEN Sun Savers codes by Tuesday, October 10. After entering ten codes, you will be prompted to enter the competition.
It closes on Monday, October 23, when a winner will be chosen at random.
Over-18 UK residents only. One entry per person. Winner will be picked at random from all valid entries. Your information will be used only for purposes of this competition. The Editor’s decision is final. Full terms and conditions at sunsavers.co.uk.
You should KEEP your round £1 coins when they stop being legal tender next week
The round pound becomes worthless this month – here’s how long you’ve got
GET CLUED UP
The secret tips and tricks you need to know if you’re shopping in Aldi
How long have you got before the old £10 expires? We’ve got all the info
CHECK YOUR CHANGE
Do you have a 50p coin worth up to £100? Check our guide now
how much are your £1 coins worth?
Revealed, the rarest and most valuable £1 coins in circulation – and how to find out if yours is worth A LOT more than a quid